Thursday, April 1, 2010

Some progress...

YAY! YAY!

Our I800 package shipped tonight. Now we wait to see if the NBC(National benefits center) will adjudicate it favorably without asking for additional documentation. Not sure how long this part of the process takes, but am hoping to find out soon. I wait easier if I have a time line!

I was asked a very good question. Why are we able to file our I800 before we leave on our first trip?
I don't think this is normal, but we have been approved by the MOJ since Jan.21. We have waited almost 12 weeks for our 1st trip. It seems that other families are traveling around week 4-6 for their first trip. The MOJ generates reports that are needed for the I800 to be submitted. It takes about 6-8weeks for this to happen. So if people have already traveled they would start their I800 after they get back. There is a bit of risk starting the I800 before we meet our son. The I800 is child specific so if something were to happen we would have to re-do our I800A and I800. A risk that we have no problem taking. He is our son! So I think it comes down to how long it has taken to travel for the 1st trip. I would love to hear if anyone else has done it.
Happy Easter!


7 comments:

  1. Can you do this before you travel? Why have the others done it after they travel? Just curious how it all works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the waiting with timeline statement. It is so much easier to have a light at the end of the tunnell. You guys are so close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bulgaria? you must be adopting a special needs child as Bulgaria was shut down to adoptions for about 2 years. They must have just re opened on a limited bases.
    Bulgaria had major major corruption in their adoptions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, BTW you are in North Carolina, can you tell us all about the lawsuit and scandel with the Adoption agency based out of your state. It is called CWA Christian World Adoptions, it seems there are several cases of parents in Ethiopia being paid to relinquish their children for adoption. Insane this agency was making $5 million a year off of adoptions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robert,
    Speaking to what we know of: Bulgaria became a full signatory of the Hague Treaty at the same time that the US did, namely April 2008. The "Gold" standard in IA, or so Unicef and others would have you believe). So, it has been OPEN for adoption for two years. Bulgaria was not shut down prior - adoptions were independent of agencies, and trickled. Please see http://adoption.state.gov/country/bulgaria.html
    for the US DoS statistics on the visas issued to adopted children from Bulgaria.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I hadn't realized it took so long between your referral and first trip! Maybe between trips one and two you will have a short wait? I to agree... Give me a pretty accurate timeline and I am happier :)

    ReplyDelete